Quick Links & Popular Tools

Menu

On December 2nd, 2013, Huron University College celebrates its 150th anniversary and a full year of special events are planned to make this a truly memorable occasion. Take your time reviewing our 150th website where Huron's past and present are commemorated through photos, videos and stories. Of particular interest is our historic timeline which chronicles Huron's history from the very beginning.

Huron Milestones:

  • Huron began as a theological college and was founded by Bishop Benjamin Cronyn.
  • Huron College was incorporated on May 5, 1863 and officially opened its doors on December 2nd, 1863.
  • Huron’s original location was known as Rough Park and occupied the block bounded by Grosvenor, St. George, St. James Street and the Thames River. 
  • Classes began on January 9, 1864, with 13 students and two instructors, including Huron’s first Principal, Isaac Hellmuth.
  • In 1951 Huron moved to its present location at 1349 Western Road.
  • In 1956 Huron's Faculty of Arts was established with 45 full-time students.Huron changed its name to Huron University College with Royal Assent in June 2000.